<$BlogRSDURL$>

.....my life lies in those eyes that have me slain
 

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

A Master and a Masterpiece



Watched Black yesterday night and couldn't resist writing this post. Calling it a masterpiece seems to be an understatement. A truly resplendent movie, definitely not to be missed. I'm smitten by the unforgettable performances of Rani, Amitabh and the little girl Ayesha. But as Abhinav's mentioned I wouldn't like to give away anything of the movie to anyone who hasn't yet watched it; but I do wanna talk about it! So those who are yet to watch it, please skip the next three paragraphs.

Black - a beautiful, royal color and the favorite of many, including me. But that's not all there is to it. It signifies different things to different people. While many adore the color, those who've been subject to racial discrimination might despise it. It is often thought to be the symbol of mourning. The Black Friday holds tortuous memories for some. But what is depicted in the movie transcends all these connotations. It's an accumulation of a blind and deaf girl's emotions and experiences in life - an endlessly black life that is skillfully steered, by a teacher, to mitigate the darkness.

I felt the most poignant part of the movie was when Michelle's sister, Sarah, tells her that Michelle might never be anyone's bride, but she must atleast not upset Sarah's betrothal ceremony. When Sarah finally gets married, Michelle longs for a kiss, for someone to embrace her, to be loved, to be caressed, to feel the sensual pleasures. So much that she actually asks her teacher to kiss her on the lips for once. He is in a great turmoil for a while but finally gives in...and goes away from Michelle that very night. She's crestfallen and repents that she ended up asking too much from life. How does one deal with life when one is denied even its simplest joys?

The movie's a spectacular show of emotions. Sanjay Leela Bhansali had come up with a similar movie Khamoshi, starring Salman and Manisha, with Manisha's parents being deaf and dumb in that. But it had not worked. In one of the interviews Bhansali had said that it was a movie close to his heart and its failure pained him. Now he has Black. Wonder what makes the concept so dear to him. Anyway. One can't help but thank God profusely for the five senses and all our vital organs, something which we tend to take for granted. I guess Black has reserved most of this year's awards for itself.

Ok, now Ji wants to know why my Mood Meter is showing Emotional. I got very emotional writing my last post - had this feeling that those very close to me are leaving one by one, then we are shifting tomorrow, the lines where I talked about me leaving Orissa and Ji deciding to leave me, the Tsunami toll. I am all the more emotional today after having watched Black. Ji, hope I answered you well! I love you!


Comments:

o yea.been almost 3 days since i watched it but its still buzzing in my head.wasnt just a movie , was an experience to remember.i must stop before u suspect me of being hired by bhansali as his publicity manager.
# posted by Blogger Abhi : Wednesday, February 09, 2005  


Post a Comment
Thought for the Day
What is yours will remain yours, even when it is not with you.

About Me
24 year-old female Arian. wheatish complexion, long hair, slender frame. After being a citizen of the world an Indian to the core

Fav Books: The Alchemist, Harry Potter
Fav Movie: The eternal Titanic
Fan of: Salman Khan, the English language
Fav line: When you want something very badly, the entire universe conspires to help you have it. [The Alchemist]


Favourite Haunts

Blogs I Read
The Past


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?